Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: YTBT: Bread Pudding
12-24-2015, 04:28 PM #1
YTBT: Bread Pudding
I am making this tomorrow, for Christmas. It comes from a friend who says that Maker's Mark makes it luscious... I am trying dark rum. I'll keep ya'll posted!
I bought French Bread a couple days ago so it will be sufficiently stale to make this!
Bread and Butter Pudding
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup Irish Whiskey, dark rum, or such.
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
8 slices firm French bread (12 - 14 ozs. total)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Salted Caramel Whiskey Butter Sauce
Leftover rum from marinating the raisins
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1. In a medium bowl or mason jar, combine raisins and alcohol; let soak 1 hour minimum, preferably overnight.
2. Butter a 2 quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, cream, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Generously spread one side of each bread slice with butter; cut each half diagonally. Arrange in bottom of prepared baking dish, overlapping slices. Drain liquid off of marinated raisins, and reserve. Sprinkle raisins over bread, tucking some between slices. Pour custard over bread; cover. Soak in refrigerator 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375*F. Place uncovered baking dish in a large baking pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up sides of dish. Bake 45 minutes or until pudding is set and top is golden brown (there will be a layer of melted butter all over pudding). Carefully remove baking dish from water bath; cool slightly on a wire rack (the butter will soak back into the bread as it cools)
4. Meanwhile, for Salted Caramel Whiskey Butter Sauce, in a 2-quart sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in sugar, salt, cream, and 3 Tbsp. of reserved whiskey. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 - 15 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Serve pudding warm and with the sauce spooned over top. 12 servings.
5. SPECIAL NOTE: This will hurt you. Eat sparingly - Each serving: 585 cal, 42 g fat, 207 mg chol, 242 mg sodium, 43 g carb, 1 g fiber, 6 G protein